This structure was originally a 15th-century late-Gothic castle, and later a Renaissance fortress. In the early 19th century the then-owner, count John Keglevich, ordered the demolition of the southern Renaissance wing of the castle, and in its place a Classicist tract was built, which is considered to be one of the finest and purest expressions of architectural Classicism in Slovakia.
The castle was used as a summer residence of the Habsburgs in the past. In the years 1923-1951 it served as a summer residence of presidents of the Czechoslovak Republic. Topoľčianky was regularly and enthusiastically visited by the first president of the Czechoslovak Republic, T G. Masaryk, who did not come only to rest, but he also worked there. In that period the last important reconstruction of three Renaissance wings of the entire facility was carried out.
Since 1951, three Renaissance wings have served as a hotel part for temporary accommodation facilities, while the Classicist wing of the castle gradually became a museum. Visitors can admire a rich library with over 14,000 volumes, which is one of the few preserved castle libraries in Slovakia. Contemporary interiors and precious furniture dating from the 16th to the 19th centuries, with beautiful painting decorations and collections of pottery and porcelain (representing the largest collections of ceramics in Slovakia) also deserve attention. A collection of weapons forms part of the exhibition.
The castle is surrounded by an English park, shaped in the valley of the stream, which dates back to the beginning of the 19th century, the period when the castle was rebuilt. At that time the neglected area was reclaimed. In the second stage of the restoration, around 1840, small romantic constructions were built in the park by the German gardener Georg Gillemont. The Large Pond and the Swan Lake, as well as the oldest exotic plants, come from this period. The last modification dates from the years 1900-1905. The then-owner Prince Joseph August of Austria ordered the abolition of farm buildings near the castle, and the park and water management systems were extended into their present state. The water management system completed by Vojtech Strnad is the one of many elements that deserve particular attention. It consists of five pools, fountains, a weir, as well as underground ducts, cleaning filters; all this operating under the principles of hydraulics. Notable too is the almost completely preserved collection of maple trees, which were a result of a dendrological interest of the Prince, as well as the alley of red beech. Besides Topoľčianky Castle, a Hunting Chateau and other buildings were also constructed in the park area. The area of the park is 30.66 hectares.
Heritage > National cultural monuments