St George’s Rotunda, Skalica

The stone-made Early-Romanesque rotunda of St George in Skalica, with its horseshoe-shaped apse, was in existence as early as the 12th century. It stood not far from the fort on a slight elevation to the north-western section of the town. It was incorporated into the city walls system in the 14th century. Later, in the 17th century, it was extended and portioned into two floors, with the upper floor serving as the watchtower. The lower section, with its remains of medieval murals depicting the motifs of the legend of St George, were preserved for sacral purposes. In the second half of the 20th century the rotunda was repaired after serious damage suffered in 1945.

Heritage > National cultural monuments