The cluster of sights which today form part of the grounds of St Elisabeth’s Cathedral in Košice grew in the centre of a lenticular square from the 14th century. The spacious cathedral, built under the direction of renowned masters, was completed to match its present shape in around 1508. The poor construction and technical conditions of the historical monument, following a number of natural disasters and the increased interest in major architectural monuments, stimulated repair and the reconstruction works on the cathedral during the second half of the 19th century. It was turned into one with five naves. The most interesting element in the interior of the five-nave hall space is the main wing altar, which dates from the last quarter of the 15th century. With its 48 panel paintings it represents the largest altarpiece on panel in Europe. The cathedral grounds also include the funerary chapel of St Michael, which was built to the south of the cathedral at the end of the 14th century. In 1628 the medieval campanile – Urban’s Tower – was remodelled in the Renaissance spirit.
Heritage > National cultural monuments