The Winter of 1944-5 saw the systematic suppression of the armed revolt of the Slovak people – the Slovak National Uprising (SNP). A mere suspicion of assistance rendered to insurgents was often sufficient reason for bloody reprisals against local people. On the night of 17-18 March 1945 the Germans encircled and set aflame the Upper Hron village of Kalište. Of the 42 original houses only six remained. After the war, the foundations of the burned houses scattered across the hillside were conserved and the cemetery and the chapel were restored. Inside two of the spared houses memorial rooms were set up, with an exhibition documenting the events leading up to the massacre. The entire area was turned into a site commemorating the Slovak National Uprising and the Second World War.
Heritage > National cultural monuments