The Baroque monastery complex, a popular shrine in Šaštín, was built between 1733 – 1762 according to the design of the Pauline Father A. Vepi. The Baroque church ground plan is based on the Roman Il Gesu type. The construction was led by the imperial architect F. A. Hillebrandt, who is also the creator of the main altar with the miraculous statue of Our Lady of Sorrows. Other altars were made by J.L. Kracker and paintings by J.J. Chamant. Even before finishing the complex the Emperor cancelled the Pauline religious order, so the towers were not finished until 1864. Part of the pilgrimage church is the chapel of the Virgin Mary, the original location of the miraculous statue.
Heritage > National cultural monuments