The historical building of the Slovak National Theatre was built in the period of 1884 to 1886 in the eclectic style where an older deteriorating city theatre once stood. Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer, successful authors of many theatre houses in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and other parts of Europe, designed a five-floor building with a rectangular layout which at that time was the main feature of an emerging promenade – today’s Hviezdoslav Square. The main entrance was directed towards this axis. It was located in a five-axial avant-corps which included a loggia with oversailing balcony. A magnificent entrance with staircases on both sides opens lavishly decorated interior rooms with Neo-Renaissance and Neo-Baroque stucco and paintings. The most important room – the hall has a shoe-shaped layout. Its capacity is extended by lavishly decorated loggias and balconies. The constant growing demands on the theatre operation required vast modernization and reconstruction. The essential reconstruction took place from 1969 to 1972. As a result, a new building additionally extended the eastern façade of the theatre.
Heritage > National cultural monuments