The memorial sites relating to Černová native Andrej Hlinka commemorate his lifelong devotion to the cause of self-determination for the Slovaks within the state establishments of both the monarchy of Austria-Hungary and later the First Czechoslovak Republic.
Andrej Hlinka, died in the building of the present-day Municipal Office on 16 August 1938. In the early 1940s, under the sanctuary of the parish church of St Andrew, a travertine mausoleum was built for him based on a design by architect J Švidroň. This formed part of a generous landscaping and construction project to build the Great Stairs linking the upper and lower parts of the city. The mausoleum interior with the sarcophagus housing Hlinka’s remains lay from 1941 until the end of the Second World War. It was restored in 1990-1991 and a stainless sculpture of double cross was added to it.
Heritage > National cultural monuments