Janko Kráľ Garden – the oldest public garden in Central Europe, Bratislava

Following the decision of Bratislava Municipal Council, the citizens of Bratislava built a public garden in the area of the original floodplain forest on the right bank of the Danube in 1775. Work needed for building the garden was financed from public collections. It was the first municipal public park in Central Europe. The basic ground plan was based, in accordance with the ideas of Baroque classicism, on an octagram placed into the floodplain forest. Later they planted alleys along its eight paths. The garden was named Sternallee (Star alley). It included a tavern, puppet theatre and in 1792 theatre performances started to be shown there. In the early 19th century the park was destroyed by floods and it was also damaged during clashes with Napoleon’s troops. Since 1919 the garden has been protected because of its natural and country character. The garden got its present design in the second quarter of the 20th century. A number of valuable trees are located there, ginkgo and huge plane trees, accompanied by interesting sculptures. The most precious ones among them are the statue of the revolutionary poet Janko Kráľ and the arbour on the top of a Gothic tower of the Franciscan church, which was moved here after being damaged at the end of the 19th century. The park serves its original purpose until today.

Heritage > National cultural monuments