In 1934-1938 on the southern slope of the High Tatras Mountain range in a settlement called Vyšné Hágy, an extensive functionalistic sanatorium was built to treat tuberculosis and respiratory diseases. It was the project of architects František Libra and Jiří Kan, and it was carried out by the central social insurance company. The complex consisted of thirteen edifices symmetrically disposed along the main sanatorium building, including the infectious medical pavilion, the dissecting-room and other facilities. Also a central boiler plant, workshops, laundry, garages, greenhouse, reception as well as four lodging houses for employees were part of the complex. The main building, which is 270 m long and has a capacity of 500 patients, includes both essential facilities – medical and catering. Moreover there are shops, a post office and a theatre for 600 guests. The construction is based on a reinforced concrete frame filled with brick masonry. The main building is insu by cork, and in combination with ceramic tiles it has excellent thermal insulation and waterproof characteristics. The building is among the top functionalism works of Slovakia.
Heritage > National cultural monuments