The first horse railway station on the territory of the Hungarian Monarchy was built in 1839-40 in Bratislava on the line leading from the inn standing in the place of today’s Radisson hotel along the River Danube shore continuing through the settlements of Svätý Jur, Pezinok and Šenkvice into Trnava. A three-wing symmetric two-storey station building, built in the Classicist style and featuring a bevelled corner, was built in the suburban urbanised area on the outskirts of the former town at the crossroads of the Krížna and Legionárska streets. The corner with the entry is emphasised by a triangular tympanum and a clock tower. The building, whose open courtyard was lined by arched arcades of covered platforms, is supposed to be the creation of Bratislava’s architect Ignác Feigler Junior. Although wagons hauled by horse carriages began to be replaced by steam locomotives from the 30’s of the 19th century, the definitive end to the service of the horse railway between Bratislava and Trnava came only in 1872. Then it was redesigned for steam engines. The station building belongs today among the oldest preserved railway facilities in the world.
Heritage > National cultural monuments