In the late 19th century Bishop A Roškováni initiated the construction of a neo-Classical extension to the Theological Institute building in order to accommodate the Diocesan Library. The library building was entrusted to Austrian architect J Lipperto and the Archbishop’s builder F Schmidt. The tailor-made interior facilities provided access to books on two levels. Today the library collection comprises 70,000 volumes that make up the libraries of the bishops and the cathedral library. The oldest book dates from the year 1473. Of particular interest are minutes containing the laws adopted at the meetings of the Polish Parliament in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Heritage > National cultural monuments