On the west side of the large Levoča market space, Master Paul’s Square today, there is an old Renaissance three-storey burgess house. It was created by the merging and rebuilding of two old medieval buildings. As one of the few it has arcades in the square dating back to the first third of the 16th century. Renaissance paintings on the ground and first floor, as well as the portal from 1530, date back to this period. The house frequently changed owners and went through successive reconstructions. After 1711, when Nicholas, the son of a Levoča chronicler and the rector of Gaspar Hain School, bequeathed the house to the Lutheran church choir, they established a Lutheran school there. After the fire at the end of the 18th century the building was expanded to include a new floor. In the middle of the 19th century there were several members of the Štúr generation at the school: Ján Francisci, Pavel Dobšinský and Ján Botto. The house, after an extensive reconstruction in the last quarter of the 20th century, during which the fragments of wall paintings and ceiling beam were restored in the exposure areas of the Spiš Museum SNM, is now publicly accessible.
Heritage > National cultural monuments