The most numerous group of wooden churches in Slovakia is that formed by the Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, which are scattered all over the north eastern region. The most characteristic feature of these religious buildings is their emphasis on the number three, symbolising the Holy Trinity. This can be seen not only in their three domes, but also in their groundplan, with three areas arranged in an axis ascending in height from west to east. The women congregated in the babinec (babinets), the area nearest to the door and the men in the nave (the largest part of the church), while the sanctuary was used for church rites. A wooden screen known as the iconostasis, typically incorporating three openings or doors and painted with icons depicting Christ, the Mother of God, the saints, feast days and the prophets and apostles, separates the nave from the sanctuary.
Built in 1773, the Greek Catholic Wooden Church of St Paraskevi at Potoky is a log building consisting of three parts and surrounded by a low stone wall. A belfry (1839) stands next to the church. Fragments of wall paintings with plant ornamentation have been preserved inside the church. The central part of the church features the iconostasis dating from 1773 and the wooden three row architecture with a tsar door in the middle, lavishly decorated with woodcarvings.
Heritage > National cultural monuments > Wooden Churches of Eastern Slovakia