The most numerous group of wooden churches in Slovakia is that formed by the Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, which are scattered all over the north eastern region. The most characteristic feature of these religious buildings is their emphasis on the number three, symbolising the Holy Trinity. This can be seen not only in their three domes, but also in their groundplan, with three areas arranged in an axis ascending in height from west to east. The women congregated in the babinec (babinets), the area nearest to the door and the men in the nave (the largest part of the church), while the sanctuary was used for church rites. A wooden screen known as the iconostasis, typically incorporating three openings or doors and painted with icons depicting Christ, the Mother of God, the saints, feast days and the prophets and apostles, separates the nave from the sanctuary.
Dating from 1705, the Greek Catholic Church of St Paraskieva is log-built with three spaces and a new diagonal nave on tall stone masonry. The church was rebuilt in 1932 when it acquired its present form, and renovated in 2002. Its Baroque interior dates from the mid-18th century and features an iconostasis with subjects from the New Testament, figures of the Apostles, Prophets and Saints, plus other icons and objects.
Heritage > National cultural monuments > Wooden Churches of Eastern Slovakia