The most numerous group of wooden churches in Slovakia is that formed by the Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, which are scattered all over the north eastern region. The most characteristic feature of these religious buildings is their emphasis on the number three, symbolising the Holy Trinity. This can be seen not only in their three domes, but also in their groundplan, with three areas arranged in an axis ascending in height from west to east. The women congregated in the babinec (babinets), the area nearest to the door and the men in the nave (the largest part of the church), while the sanctuary was used for church rites. A wooden screen known as the iconostasis, typically incorporating three openings or doors and painted with icons depicting Christ, the Mother of God, the saints, feast days and the prophets and apostles, separates the nave from the sanctuary.
Dating from 1718, the Church of St Michael the Archangel at Uličské Krivé is a three-section log construction sitting on a low stone foundation. The area of the church surrounded by a low fence with a shingle roof includes a cemetery. Two towers with simple crosses protrude from the shingle roof and bells are located in the taller western tower. The entrance door is in Baroque style and features original ironwork. The church interior features a richly-decorated 18th century Baroque iconostasis and 16th century icons of St Nicholas and Christ Pantocrator.
Heritage > National cultural monuments > Wooden Churches of Eastern Slovakia