The most numerous group of wooden churches in Slovakia is that formed by the Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, which are scattered all over the north eastern region. The most characteristic feature of these religious buildings is their emphasis on the number three, symbolising the Holy Trinity. This can be seen not only in their three domes, but also in their groundplan, with three areas arranged in an axis ascending in height from west to east. The women congregated in the babinec (babinets), the area nearest to the door and the men in the nave (the largest part of the church), while the sanctuary was used for church rites. A wooden screen known as the iconostasis, typically incorporating three openings or doors and painted with icons depicting Christ, the Mother of God, the saints, feast days and the prophets and apostles, separates the nave from the sanctuary.
Built in 1752, the Greek Catholic church of Michael the Archangel in Šemetkovce was constructed without the use of a single nail. The church itself consists of three parts and incorporates a wooden belfry. The area was originally surrounded by log fence.
The iconostas dates back to the second half of the 18th century, although the ‘Resurrection of St. Lazarus and St. Michael’ icon and some others originate from the 17th century. The iconostasis and the altar were rebuilt in 1969-1970. The whole compound underwent restoration in 2001.
Heritage > National cultural monuments > Wooden Churches of Eastern Slovakia