The most numerous group of wooden churches in Slovakia is that formed by the Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, which are scattered all over the north eastern region. The most characteristic feature of these religious buildings is their emphasis on the number three, symbolising the Holy Trinity. This can be seen not only in their three domes, but also in their groundplan, with three areas arranged in an axis ascending in height from west to east. The women congregated in the babinec (babinets), the area nearest to the door and the men in the nave (the largest part of the church), while the sanctuary was used for church rites. A wooden screen known as the iconostasis, typically incorporating three openings or doors and painted with icons depicting Christ, the Mother of God, the saints, feast days and the prophets and apostles, separates the nave from the sanctuary.
The Greek Catholic wooden church of St Basil the Great at Kalná Roztoka was built at the end of the 18th century and reconstructed in 1839. It is a log building divided into three parts. Its exterior is painted in white. The iconostas dates from the 18th century and the icon of Christ to 1773. The belfry standing in front of the church was constructed in the 20th century.
Heritage > National cultural monuments > Wooden Churches of Eastern Slovakia