The decision to construct the first building of the Slovak National Museum was made 12 years after the foundation of the Slovak Museum Society. Its collections had grown so much since its foundation by the pioneer of Slovak museum science, A Kmeť, that the location inside the National House was becoming inadequate. The Museum was built with the support of the national collection according to a design by M M Harminc in 1908. The one-storey building with its axially-symmetric façade in the neo-Renaissance spirit has seven large halls on each of its floors. Later on the collections were moved to the new building which was also designed by Harminc. Today the first building of the Slovak National Museum houses the Andrej Kmeť Museum SNM, Martin.
Heritage > National cultural monuments