In the historical centre of the town, opposite the church of St Catherine, a classical Evangelical church was built on a parcel of land which was bequeathed to Protestants by townsman M Kaiser in his will. A local builder called Sivák constructed the church in 1794-1796 and it thus replaced a wooden church dating from 1688. The building was designed by the Viennese architect J Thallher, a member of the Hungarian building chamber, in the spirit of Joseph II‘s Patent of Tolerance – but without a tower. The dynamic solution of the interior design in the central building above the elliptical-shaped ground floor, radically extended by three levels of tribunes, is not in accordance with the quite austere exterior. As far as height is concerned it respects the cornices of surrounding burgher houses. The real purpose of this building is indicated by a drum with a dome highlighted by a gilded cross and a slightly forward-moved risalit completed with a triangular tympanum. The entrance is stressed at the sides by a pair of pilasters of the high order with Ionic capitals. Four vases closing the attic represent a transition to a superstructure with a dome.
Heritage > National cultural monuments