The most numerous group of wooden churches in Slovakia is that formed by the Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, which are scattered all over the north eastern region. The most characteristic feature of these religious buildings is their emphasis on the number three, symbolising the Holy Trinity. This can be seen not only in their three domes, but also in their groundplan, with three areas arranged in an axis ascending in height from west to east. The women congregated in the babinec (babinets), the area nearest to the door and the men in the nave (the largest part of the church), while the sanctuary was used for church rites. A wooden screen known as the iconostasis, typically incorporating three openings or doors and painted with icons depicting Christ, the Mother of God, the saints, feast days and the prophets and apostles, separates the nave from the sanctuary.
The Eastern Orthodox Church of St Luke the Evangelist dates from 1727 and is situated on a slope above the municipality. The only wooden church to have been preserved in the Prešov district, it is an atypical dark brown in colour with white pointing. The interior Baroque furnishing with iconostasis dates from 1733. The church is surrounded by a historic cemetery where graves and crucifixes more than 100 years old can be found. The church is at present fully functional and Roman Catholic services are currently held here.
Heritage > National cultural monuments > Wooden Churches of Eastern Slovakia