The most numerous group of wooden churches in Slovakia is that formed by the Greek Catholic and Orthodox churches, which are scattered all over the north eastern region. The most characteristic feature of these religious buildings is their emphasis on the number three, symbolising the Holy Trinity. This can be seen not only in their three domes, but also in their groundplan, with three areas arranged in an axis ascending in height from west to east. The women congregated in the babinec (babinets), the area nearest to the door and the men in the nave (the largest part of the church), while the sanctuary was used for church rites. A wooden screen known as the iconostasis, typically incorporating three openings or doors and painted with icons depicting Christ, the Mother of God, the saints, feast days and the prophets and apostles, separates the nave from the sanctuary.
Dating from 1760, the wooden church in Kožany is a log structure consisting of three parts. Its interior walls are adorned with paintings representing scenes from the Old and New Testament. The Iconostasis dates from the early 18th century and unusually has only two doors. The most valuable icon is that depicting the Judgement Day on canvas from the end of the 18th century.
Heritage > National cultural monuments > Wooden Churches of Eastern Slovakia