This small village, which is situated in the district of Veľký Krtíš, lies away from busy routes. Despite its reclusion it hosts an architectural rarity. In 1910, following the project of a young Hungarian architect Stephen Medgyaszay, a graduate of Otto Wagner’s Vienna School of Architecture, an the Art Nouveau church was built. For the very first time in the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy a reinforced concrete construction was used when constructing a church. The building itself, inspired by the Art Nouveau style, is dominated by a tower with textured banister on corbels also made up of concrete, even if its style is inspired by folklore. The tower is covered by a high pavilion roof of monolithic concrete. The nave of the church is of an octagonal base with a vaulting dome roof constructed on what was an innovative way for the period given. It was assembled from thin precast concrete segments. The edges of the octagon are optically extended by Art Nouveau style shaped concrete statues of cherubs placed in the attic of the church created by sculptor F. Sidló. The facade of the entrance is decorated by a large painting dedicated to the church’s patroness.
Heritage > National cultural monuments