In the 13th century the predecessor of the massive fortress belonged to the chain of frontier defence Carpathian castles. In 1537 the new owners started building the Renaissance fortress with typical corner round bastions, a square central courtyard and deep fosse on the place of the royal castle. The construction relates to the extensive business activities of one of the biggest European companies between 1495-1504, the Thurzo-Fugger company. This company had its activities even in the region of the Central Slovakia where it mined for copper ore. Large, well protected cellars of the castle were then used for storing of goods, even for the storing of the copper ore from Central Slovakia which was exported not only to the north of Poland, but also to Venice and to the west to Regensburg, Nuremberg and Munich. The well thought out protection of the storing premises is shown by the advanced ventilation system of the casemates which is connected to the possible influence of A. Dürer. In 1588 the Count Miklós Pálffy bought the castle and started rebuilding it into a comfortable Renaissance-Baroque palace. In the family seat the Pálffy family built richly decorated interiors, a chapel and Salla Terrena untypically opened to the courtyard. The castle is situated in the centre of a vast landscape park and represents one of the most significant museums with extensive collections of historical furniture, fine art and utility art.
Heritage > National cultural monuments