In 1571-1574 the Palatine František Thurzo commissioned the construction of a four-winged Renaissance mansion house on the site of the medieval water castle at Bytča. This impressive edifice was constructed by Master Kilián of Milan with four corner bastions, drawing on the Italian-type municipal castella. The arcade corridors around the courtyard were decorated in the first half of the 18th century with frescos depicting ancient mythology with the figures of Hungarian and European rulers. The Renaissance wedding palace, built in 1601 by Juraj Thurzo, is a component part of the extensive fortified grounds and was designed particularly for the wedding feasts of his seven daughters. Bytča Castle became the model for other aristocratic residences of the time, particularly those in the Váh River region and in Central Slovakia.
Heritage > National cultural monuments