The village of Brhlovce is situated in a basin surrounded by gentle slopes that are a part of the southern feet of the Štiavnica Mountains, east of the district town of Levice. The oldest historical reference of the landlord village comes from 1245. The population worked in agriculture and viticulture; later basketry, weaving and stonemasonry flourished in this area. The origin of the rare rock dwellings in Slovakia is not clear. Some authors see in them a possible shelter against the Turks in the 16th century, others relate their origin to the economic activity – to the vanished vineyards, while later, after their disappearance, the original wine cellars should serve as housing for the poorest. Rock dwellings, originally a room and several separate rooms, carved into the tuff are now used as a kitchen and farm space. In some parts there are also wells carved into the stone. The farmstead No. 142 consists of a brick house in its front part, built of hewn blocks of tuff; and there is a smaller building opposite the house. The farmstead is closed by a rock, into which the summer kitchen and other farm facilities are dug, including a tiny sty. While cutting the rocks they let blocks of the rock in the same thickness as the front wall with window and door openings had. The front wall was lowered when comparing with the area of the rock; it was carved approximately one meter inside the rock, which made impossible for the rainwater to drain on the rock wall directly inside the house. By cutting the ceilings they were usually let straight. There is also a well dug in the corner of the farmstead.