At the place of a former Baroque-Classicistic Regional granary built near the Danube waterfront on today´s Mostná ulica (street), the city council decided to build a new building for the cultural needs of the citizens of Bratislava, mainly for various theatre, amusement and musical events and also for balls and various gatherings. According to the project of the architects from Budapest Dezider Jakab and Marcell Komorthey, the monumental eclectic building of Reduta was built 1913 – 1919. This building is one of the first in the city where ferro-concrete structures were used as a progressive innovation. Contrary to this modern solution of load-bearing structures, the authors upon the request of the city council used historical elements and ornamentation to shape the architectonic expression and details. In the exterior as well as elegant interior are neo-Baroque and late-Rococo ornaments and stuccowork decorations. The influence of Art Nouveau is visible on the windows. Reliefs on the facades are from the Bratislava sculptor Adolf Messmer with the symbolism of art, mainly music and science. In the large interiors with a monumental stairs is located a concert hall as well as a theatre hall. After almost hundred years of its function the building of Reduta was recently completely renovated and the technologies were modernised to enable the top-class recording of the music production. For more than half a century it is the seat of the Slovak Philharmonia.
Heritage > National cultural monuments